Ebiten in 2021
It's been 8 years since I started to develop Ebiten. This article is a retrospective of Ebiten in 2021.
These people sponsored me in between December 2020 and November 2021. I can't thank you enough!
(In the order of total sponsoring amounts)
These people contributed to Ebiten in between December 2020 and November 2021. I appreciate all the contributions!
(In the order of total commits)
- Ebiten 2.1 was released. The new features are specifying cursor styles and so on.
- Ebiten Discord Server started.
- Odencat Inc. released Bear's Restaurant Nintendo Switch version. This is the first game in Go for consoles ever.
- Awesome Ebiten by Artem Sedykh was opened. Awesome Ebiten is a culated list for Ebiten works.
- Oto ver. 2 was released
- Odencat released "Bear's Restaurant Steam version.
- Ebiten 2.2 was released. The new features are supporting Nintendo Switch, standard gamepad layouts, and so on.
- I gave a presentation "Developing games in Go for Nintendo Switch™" at an online conference in Japan "Go Conference 2021 Autumn".
- I contributed a Japanese article "How game engines treat GPU ― learning from the implementation of Ebiten" to "N-Gekkan Lambda Note Vol.3, No.2 (2021)" by Lambda Note Ltd.
Works made with Ebiten
I picked some representative ones from games and applications made with Ebiten and relased this year. I'm afraid not all works this year could be listed since so many works were released. I appreciate all the works!
The copyright of these screenshots and the other images belong to their authors.
a runner game made in Go with Ebiten engine.
Author: Trevor Slocum
Carotid Artillery is a
twin-stick shooter set in a dungeon crawling with vampires.
Driving in the Clouds
作者: Ichiban Kunio
You only have to tap left or right half of the screen to turn left or right. That's it!
Feta Feles Rebirth
作者: The Tophat Demon
Feta Feles Rebirth is
an eerie bullet hell shooter, featuring a small story based around your "pet cat."
Godanmaku is a
simple shooting game using ebiten and Golang.
towards a polymorphic solitaire engine in Go+Ebiten, with help from fogleman/gg.
a simple Columns-like strategy game developed in Golang with the Ebiten library (for Android).
Tayl's Tales is
a very early beginning to some Taylspin inspired video game shenanigans.
作者: Liam Galvin
a GPU rendered terminal emulator designed for tiling window managers.
a simple way to get a position on your screen using your keyboard and the visual aid of a grid.
作者: Jan Niklas Richter
a work-in-progress gameboy emulator written in golang.
Magia is a
GBA emulator written in golang.
作者: Maik Schreiber
a user interface engine and widget library for Ebiten.
a toy raycasting engine built with Go + Ebiten v2 2D library.
作者: Qiniu (七牛云)
a Go+ 2D Game Engine for STEM education.
a 3D software renderer written in Go by means of Ebiten, primarily for video games.
Dr. Kobushi's Labyrinthine Laboratory
作者: Nadim Kobeissi
This is a Kickstarter project.
Dr. Kobushi's Labyrinthine Laboratory
is a new puzzle adventure game about learning from your mistakes.
💥📣 BIG ANNOUNCEMENT: I'M MAKING AN INDIE PUZZLE GAME! 🎮🧩— Nadim Kobeissi (@kaepora) December 1, 2021
I'm incredibly excited to announce DR. KOBUSHI'S LABYRINTHINE LABORATORY, my secret project for the past many many months!
CHECK US OUT AND PRE-ORDER ON KICKSTARTER: https://t.co/BlHb5yVG7q
RTs greatly appreciated!!
Golang Gamedev Stream (by Solar Lune)
GopherCon UK 2021: Daniela Petruzalek - Building an Indie Game in GO
Ebiten in 2022 and after
There are many things I want to do for Ebiten, but I have not decided priorities. Roughly, these are the items I want to do:
- Inputting with IME: This should be useful to make a GUI application.
- Handling input events: Now, Ebiten ignores inputs that happen in smaller time interval than 1/60 seconds. In order not to miss them, we need a new system.
- DirectX: This is necessary for some Windows like Arm Windows.
- Vector graphics: There is vector package, but this doesn't have many features. I want to add new features like anti-alias.
- Streaming games: By defining a protocol for graphics, a remote client can render it. This might be fun!
We are still discussing the roadmap.
I will continue to do things with the spirit of "importance of doing even common tasks well" for Ebiten. See you next year!